+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One of the Best Tarpon Fly Videos

One of the Best Tarpon Fly Videos

This is still one of the best ever!!!

Outstanding trailer! Can't wait for the full length film. Graham and the boys rock! Thanks

Been tying Tarpon leaders the last couple of days! TX poon soon! On the fly!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Absolutely!

Okay, so if somebody was going to get into fly fishing for tarpon for all sizes of fish along the Texas coast - what's the best reel, line, and rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Tarpon Admin View Post
    Okay, so if somebody was going to get into fly fishing for tarpon for all sizes of fish along the Texas coast - what's the best reel, line, and rod?
    I don't know if it's the best but it works well without breaking the bank. Spend your money on a good reel with a good drag system. I fish TFO BVK rods in 8, 10 and 12 wts. Fairly inexpensive rods but outfitted with Hatch reels and matching wt lines. I also like Rio's intermediate tip lines. It gets under any waves, loads quick and gives me 15' of clear intermediate tip before my leader.

I am a Loomis and Tibor guy. I am not a fan of the clear tipped line if you are sight casting unless you really know what you are doing. It makes it hard to articulate the fly in relation to the fish when you cannot see the fly in the water, but can see the fish and the end of your fly line. I do like Rio and Airflow lines. As for size, it really depends on what you are going to do. If you are going after mature fish, you need a 5" reel and 12wt rod.

Agreed, JC. Loomis and Tibor are wonderful. Also agree 12 wts are the right tool for adults. Re. Clear tips, I find they really help load the rod at short range. What kinda flies are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+ Reply to Thread